By: Vaclav Smil
- Nitrogen is very important because compared with carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, nitrogen is only minor constituent of living matter.
- Nitrogen remains lately locked in the atmosphere.
- Paired nitrogen atoms make up 78 percent of the atmosphere, but stable to transform easily into reactive form that plants can take up
- most natural nitrogen is done by certain bacteria.
- cyanobacteria can also fix nitrogen
- Traditional Farmers use too much nitrogen fertilizers
- The growth of crops and various natural losses continually remove fixed nitrogen from the soil.
- The nitrogen-fixing bacteria living in the roots of these plants helped to enrich fields with nitrogen.
- Excess fertilizers does not just disturb soil and water.
- The increasing use of nitrogen fertilizers has also sent more nitrous oxide into the atmosphere.
- Sunlight with other pollutants produce photo-chemical smog.
- Emissions of carbon dioxide, and the accompanying threat of global warming, can be reduced through a combination of economic and technical solutions.
During the 20th century, the global population began to increase, as well as the nitrogen using nitrogen fertilizers. The nitrogen fertilizer is being used by the traditional farmers to grow enough crops for people to eat. Billions of people needs food and the farmers are using too much fertilizers causing the loss of nitrogen. All the nitrogen from the soil and water doesn't disturb by the excess fertilizers. The sunlight with other pollutants produce photo-chemical smog and the deposition of nitrogen from the atmosphere can have fertilizing effects on some grasslands or forest. Higher doses may overload sensitive ecosystem.
In the article, it clearly explain that the human growth population is affecting the ecosystem. Humans are the caused of the environmental issues. If we continue the human growth population issues, the farmers will keep making and using more nitrogen fertilizers. We should start controlling the population growth in order to save the environment.